Sustainable Industries Daily Update
- Here’s an encouraging report: Pike Research forecasts that by 2015, 1.7 million plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) will be on the road. Industry analyst Dave Hurst predicts that Toyota, Ford and General Motors will make up 75 percent of the world market for these new sustainable vehicles.
- Check out these photos of the new LEED platinum headquarters of the U.S Green Building Council (USGBC, i.e. the inventors of the LEED rating system) featured on The Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce website: A stud or a dud?
- International research firm Parks Associates just released a report showing over eight million “smart meters” currently deployed in the US with more on the way. This, the firm says, is an important first step toward the deployment of smart grid technologies on a broad scale.
- And speaking of smart grid technologies, the Department of Energy (DOE) announced July 20 that over $47 million of stimulus funds went to smart grid projects this year. The DOE is also releasing its first ever status report on these technologies and their deployments.
- Earth2Tech gets us powered up with a look at the lucky 13 battery start up companies using Lithium-ion technology.
- An electric sports car? Five hundred and twenty five horsepower? It may not come out until 2015, but Mercedes’ new electric car might just be worth the wait.